Thursday, March 22, 2012

My invitation must have been lost in the mail

This is where Pitt is playing its spring game.
The Cherry and White scrimmage has been canceled.
Now that I've got your attention with that opening sentence, I want to clarify it.
The Cherry and White scrimmage has NOT been canceled officially.
In reality for many (most) of us, though, it has.
I received a letter in the mail yesterday from "Temple athletics" and eagerly ripped it open, hoping that it was my "few invited guests" invitation to this year's Cherry and White game.
Instead, it was a form letter signed by Steve Addazio and Bill Bradshaw saying that "due to safety concerns and space limitations at our facility, it is necessary to limit the number of spectators at this year's final scrimmage to recruits, families, and a few invited guests of the football program."
I guess my invitation has been lost in the mail.
This is where Temple should play its spring game.

Which means I will probably miss my first Cherry and White game in 32 years as it stands now.
Really, this means that if you are a member of the Owl Club or a big booster, you are in the door.
If you are a "regular season ticket-holder" _ even a 30-year one like me _ tough luck.
Talk about class warfare in an election year. ....
Let me go on record as saying if I don't get an invitation, that offer of $365 million dollars to Temple football is officially off the table. If you didn't like me when I was poor, I don't want you coming to me when I'm rich. Since the Mega Millions is $290 million this Friday night, that could be very soon.
It didn't have to be this way.
Actually, it still doesn't.
Temple tried to get Lincoln Financial Field, but Jeff Lurie made the price so high that it was cost prohibitive.
Temple's Ambler Campus Field was determined unsafe (don't know why because it was safe enough for Al Golden to take the team there five years ago).
High school fields were determined out of the question because of the "small-time" perception involved.
I'm not buying that last excuse.
Pitt is playing its spring game at North Hills High because, like the Linc, Heinz Field is unavailable or cost prohibitive on that date. Pitt wants its fans to have a full spring game experience and damned with what everybody else's small-time perception is.
Temple should do the same for its fans.
North Hills seats 5,000 people and has a brand new sprint turf field.
Northeast High in Philadelphia, less than five miles from the Edberg-Olsen Complex, seats 9,000 people and has a brand new sprint turf field. Northeast is a great venue for both football and tailgating, with many Temple grads as teachers, and would welcome the Owls with open arms.
Pitt doesn't give a damn about perception.
Neither should Temple.