Sunday, December 27, 2009

The EagleBank Bowl Survival Guide


Photos by Ratna
The Eagle Bank Bowl gambled and rolled the dice with weather.
Actually, it's a gamble any outdoor Northeast bowl takes this time of year.
It could have won.
It could have lost.
I will call this year's bowl, at least in terms of weather, a push.
The "average" high temperature for Washington, D.C. for Dec. 29th is 48 degrees.
The high on Tuesday is expected to be 16 degrees below that, or freezing.
Yikes.
It's going to be cold.
It's going to be damn cold.
It might be the coldest Temple football game I've ever attended and I've attended most over the last 30 years.
That's the bad news.
The good news is that there won't be a snowstorm.
So weather, at least in my mind, is a push.
You can play football in it and, if you are a smart fan, you can survive in it.
I consider myself a smart fan, so here's my survival plan:

  • Two (2) T-shirts;
  • Two pairs of sweat pants;
  • Three (3) pairs of socks;
  • Two Temple sweatshirts, both hooded (I will wear the zippered one on top of the regular Cherry Temple one);
  • Ear Muffs;
  • One light pair of gloves to be worn under one heavy pair of gloves;
  • One heavy winter coat, to be worn on top of everything (also with a hood);

The all-time low D.C. temperature for Tuesday is minus-2 degrees.
Just be thankful you aren't these girls:

If these girls can be there (and they will), so can you ...