Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rolovich gone, Heater not forgotten

Nick Rolovich's decision was a case of Reno 911 meeting 10th and Diamond.


With the announcement yesterday that Nick Rolovich was staying at Nevada comes the news today that Temple defensive coordinator Chuck Heater is leaving for Marshall.
Both developments, while disappointing, are not surprising.
We speculated in this spot a week ago that Chuck was going to Marshall and this is what we said when Rolovich was rumored to come to Temple as offensive coordinator:

I'll believe Rolovich comes when I see him on North Broad Street. It might be a culture shock for someone who has worked in Hawaii and near Vegas the last two years to work at 10th and Diamond.



I published those words on this site Dec. 28. My instincts proved to be correct.
Rolovich was offered a double-salary pay raise to stay in Nevada.
Good for him. He's got twins on the way and doesn't want to uproot his family.
Plus, it's better he decides now than sometime mid-way through the season. After all, 10th and Diamond isn't for everybody. Scot Loeffler was the consummate professional while here and did a great job as offensive coordinator in 2011, but I could tell his heart wasn't into being here.
Fortunately, Matt Rhule's heart is into it and that should bode well for the make-up of the balance of the staff.
He was one of the best defensive coordinators I've ever seen at Temple. Nick Rapone was the best, Chuck was the second, Vince Hoch was the third and Mark D'Onofrio was a distant fourth.
I'm sure Marcus Satterfield will do a fine job as offensive coordinator. There will not be a search for a coordinator on offense. Satterfield will be the guy.
I don't watch too much television, but one of the few channels I do get is the Comedy one and, while The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (my favorite) was off the air last month, I watched a couple of episodes of (awful) Reno 911.
The only thing that made me laugh about that show was imagining how long those cops would last at 10th and Diamond.
Two minutes.
Maybe.
Chuck, though, was another story altogether.
He loved living in Philadelphia, loved Temple, and was a terrific person to be around.
He was one of the best defensive coordinators I've ever seen at Temple.
Nick Rapone was the best, Chuck was the second, Vince Hoch was the third and Mark D'Onofrio was a distant fourth.
Like Nick, Chuck was as humble as they come.
After he made the second-half adjustments to shut out a UConn team that beat Louisville, I found myself standing next to Chuck in the parking lot while waiting for the guys to board the buses. He had a big smile on his face while watching the whole scene.   I turned to him said: "I don't know what you did or said at halftime, but you are a genius."
"It wasn't me," Chuck said, "It was the boys."
That will be my lasting memory of Chuck at Temple.