Wednesday, August 31, 2011

TFF: More than a Labor of Love now

By Mike Gibson
After working full-time continuously since I was 17 (I worked my way through Temple by holding two part-time jobs), I recently became a victim of the terrible economy and the spiraling newspaper business.
The Philadelphia Inquirer recently cut back two full-timers from its high school sports section and I, unfortunately, was one of them.
Pretty tough news considering I never missed a day of work in my life from the time I started in the newspaper business at The Doylestown Intelligencer and always showed up for work on time, pretty much to the minute.
Temple Football Forever has been a labor of love through all of this.
Now, at least temporarily, it is more than a labor of love.
Hopefully, through the support of the great fans of this site, I won't be reduced to sending TFF dispatches by flashlight while living in a cardboard box at 16th and Callowhill

Hopefully, through the support of the great fans of this site, I won't be reduced to sending TFF dispatches by flashlight while living in a cardboard box at 16th and Callowhill. (If I had to set up a cardboard box home, that's where I'd do it.)
I have a few months to look for another newspaper job, but I have to face reality here.
This business is dying and there is a lot of age discrimination out there in all areas of employment, so the prospects are not ideal.
So, we're not asking for a Bill Cosby-like donation of $1 million here (Bill has never contributed a penny but that's his prerogative as Bobby Brown might say), just anything between $5 and $10 would be greatly appreciated.
Either go through the pay pal link provided or  if you don't like pay pal send a check to:
Mike Gibson
P.O. Box 243
Quakertown, PA 18951
Thanks again and only a few of my fellow tailgaters know of this and I appreciate their kind words of support.
Mike