Saturday, October 3, 2009

Temple 24, Eastern Michigan 12: I'll take it


A crowd about this size watched at EMU Saturday.
I never want to hear anything about Temple's attendance again. Compared to Eastern Michigan and Kent State and some of these MAC teams, Temple is like the Red Sox in attracting fans.
By Mike Gibson
I entered this season not knowing if I'm more of a perfectionist or a bottom-line guy.
After Villanova, I decided I was a bottom-line guy.
I didn't care how we got it done, just get it done.
Get 'er done.
Win.
The perfectionist in me didn't like today's 24-12 win over Eastern Michigan.
When we had a first down on the other guy's 3 with a 24-6 lead, and you have a back who gained 180 yards and you abandon the run for a silly pass, that's just bad decision-making.
You run your horse behind your big offensive line a couple of times.
Chances are the guy's going to score.
Clint Eastwood the m-fers.
Step on the freaking guy's throat and say, "I've got four chances to blow your brains out with Bernard Pierce. Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?"
I'm about thisclose to pulling the red shirt off of Chris Coyer.
Thisclose.
We are getting no plays out of the quarterback position or at least not enough to win the amount of games we need to win.
I see true freshmen making plays all over the place at quarterback every Saturday. If we've got a playmaker on the bench, use him. We need more out of Vaughn. I'm going to chalk Saturday up to that 20 mph wind. At least I hope that's what the problem was, but we were 6 for 17 out of that position a week ago, too, with no wind.
Now get out of here, perfectionist.
WE WON!!!!!!
Since I blamed Al Golden for the Villanova loss (and I still do), I will be fair here.
AL GOLDEN WON, TOO!!!!
Good job, Al.
I'll take it.
The hardest thing to do is win in big-time college football.
I don't care if you are playing in The Big House in front of 106,000 people against Michigan or in front of 3,364 in The Little House in Ypsilanti.
That's right. Three-thousand, three hundred and sixty four.
That's the announced crowd.
Step on the freaking guy's throat and say, "I've got four chances to blow your brains out with Bernard Pierce. Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?"

Eastern Michigan couldn't fake it because the NCAA would be able to review the film and count them in about 10 minutes.
I never want to hear anything about Temple's attendance again.
Compared to Eastern Michigan and Kent State and some of these MAC teams, Temple is like the Red Sox in attracting fans.
Temple is in the upper echelon of attendance and will remain so if the system (i.e., consistent winning) remains in place.
I'd like to see all of our Prodigal Son fans return for the Ball State game this Saturday and the Army game in two weeks.
I know it won't happen, though, because the loss to Nova ruined our season from an attendance perspective. I don't agree with the fans who were so disgusted they told me they won't be back the rest of this year, but I can see that they didn't appreciate that Golden left them open for some needless ball-busting from total assholes for 12 months so I understand their position.
Still, this team deserves your and my support and it will need a significant home field advantage to beat Ball State and Army.
Ticket sales for the Army game among TEMPLE fans are brisk and Temple should draw at least 25,000 for that game.
Let's make it a fun house for us and a house of horrors for them.
That's the bottom line right there and since I've now become a fully committed bottom-line guy, that's really all that matters.


Wear Pink to the Next Home Game: