Sunday, September 11, 2011

The view from Akron

TU fans could go head over heels
for Ahkeem Smith (24) and Kamel
Johnson (93).
Going into this game, I thought Temple would beat Akron, 38-7.
I was wrong.
It was 41-3 and it could have been much worse.
I thought to myself at the end of the first half that it would be nice if Temple head coach Steve Addazio rested Bernard Pierce for the entire second half, saving him for the Penn State game.
What'ya know?
Daz did just that.
Had Pierce played the second half, I had no doubt the final score would be 60-6 (if Akron was lucky).
Don't get me wrong.
Matty Brown played well in relief, but he's not a first-round NFL draft pick.
"DatBoy Nard" is a first-round NFL draft pick.
I believe it with every fiber of my being.
Mike Gerardi played OK, but he missed more throws than he did last week against Villanova.
No sense of urgency, though, and I think Gerardi is the kind of gamer who brings the play action when he needs it.
The defense and special teams played well.
Joey Jones should be first-team WR.
Right now, I think Temple is probably in the best position to beat Penn State since the Wayne Hardin years.
I don't think Penn State can stop Bernard Pierce for four quarters. If Bernard Pierce plays four quarters, Penn State is going down.

Will the Owls get that done?
That's the question.
I don't think Penn State can stop Bernard Pierce for four quarters.
If Bernard Pierce plays four quarters, Penn State is going down.
For the first time since Hardin, I believe Temple has the better coaching staff from head on down to the graduate assistants.
Does Penn State have better talent?
Sure.
Talent doesn't always win.
It's up to the 30K Temple fans who will be there to outcheer the 40K Penn State fans who will be there.
I saw a lot of people sitting on their hands against Villanova.
If that happens, Penn State will win.
If Temple gets the crowd behind it and the coaching differential plus the fans give the Owls a push, I think the Owls can win.
Can, should and would are all different stories, though.
Whatever seats are left, Temple fans should do their best to buy them up and then vow to become part of the team on Saturday.