Friday, April 16, 2010

Spinning Charlton's move to tight end

"Everybody was blown away by his vertical stretch, by how soft his hands were, and how well he ran with the ball after the catch."
_ Al Golden
Today's operative word is spin.
It's a form of propoganda making a move or position more sellable.
There have been a few famous "spin doctors" in the arts and media over the years.
My favorite was a guy named Mike Flaherty, played by Michael J. Fox, in the sitcom Spin City. Flaherty, the deputy Mayor, specialized in getting the mayor out of trouble by spinning an issue that otherwise wasn't flattering.
I could only think of one word when I heard the quotes coming from Al Golden's lips about Vaughn Chartlon's move to tight end on Wednesday.
Spin.
"Everybody was blown away," Golden told Owlscoop.com. "Everybody was blown away by his vertical stretch, by how soft his hands were, and how well he ran with the ball after the catch. So of all the things that you guys ask me every day, it's probably the biggest news, probably since I've been here."
Yeah, right.
Hmm.
Charlton has played no other position than quarterback since Pee-Wee ball, yet Golden gives a glowing report on the potential of Charlton as a pass-catching and route-running Division IA tight end.
Basically, Golden is telling us _ exaggerating just a little for effect, here _ that we might have had a John Mackey or a Pete Retzlaff right here under our noses for four years without realizing it.
If that's not spin, I don't know what is.
I'm not buying it.
Listen, I'm on board with the decision, whether it was Golden's or Charlton's. Vaughn is a great kid and a terrific team leader.
A lot of people I've talked to say it doesn't make sense because they've been grooming him to be quarterback for five years and he deserves a chance.
I've seen enough to know that they could groom him for five more years and he'll never be half the quarterback Adam DiMichele was or Henry Burris was or Brian Broomell was.
Temple needs a playmaking quarterback who can make good throws (often) under pressure. I don't think Charlton ever responded to pressure quite the way, say, DiMichele did. I don't think Charlton ever put enough points on the scoreboard.

I'm betting that the immensely talented Evan Rodriguez is better equipped to put up those kind of numbers, if properly used

Temple's program has reached the point where it needs to go from one Adam DiMichele to another Adam DiMIchele. There should never have been a disastrous drop in talent at that position, particularly when you have a recruiter as accomplished as Golden.
What happened, I think, is that both Chester Stewart and Chris Coyer (and possibly even Mike Gerardi) have passed Charlton on the depth chart.
The move to tight end was pure spin, a way to lessen the impact of the fall to the bottom of the depth chart.
If Chartlon catches 60 passes for 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns next season and blocks like Mike Ditka, I will admit I'm wrong.
I'm betting that the immensely talented Evan Rodriguez is better equipped to put up those kind of numbers, if properly used. Rodriguez's backups are more likely to be named Matt Balasavage, Cody Booth and Alex Jackson than Vaughn Charlton.
And that's no spin.